- What are Lawyer HomePages at lawyers.com?
is a consumer-oriented Web site specifically targeted at non-legal individuals and
small businesses who require legal advice and assistance. It profiles more than 420,000
lawyers and firms and provides consumers with complete, credible and up-to-date legal
information to help them better understand the law and their legal options.
Lawyer HomePages allow you to supplement the
data in your Professional
Biography with practical information, attention-grabbing images and
interactive features via a personal Web site that is linked to
(Go to Lawyer HomePages Overview
or Features and Benefits
to learn more.)
- Who is eligible to have a Lawyer HomePage at
- Lawyers and firms that maintain a Professional Biography in the most current
edition of the Martindale-Hubbell® Law Directory
and have a consumer-oriented practice will be available via a search at
Lawyer HomePages are reserved for sole practitioners
and small law firms.
- Wouldn't I be better off creating my own Web site?
- Building, hosting and maintaining your own Web site can cost thousands of
dollars and involve significant effort. Even if you create your own site, it
doesn't generate traffic if users don't know where to find it.
banner ads appear on Yahoo!, AOL, Infoseek, AltaVista, Excite, Webcrawler,
HotBot, Switchboard and SuperPages when keywords such as "lawyers"
and "attorneys" are used as search criteria. A consumer-directed public
relations campaign teamed with radio spots and print newspaper advertising also
drives high-volume traffic to
Additionally, you will have the advantage of one of the most recognizable addresses
on the Web - www.lawyers.com/your_firm to use on
your business cards, advertisements, letterhead and other promotional materials.
Your Lawyer HomePage will be accessible to the non-legal public via a link from
to legal professionals via Lawyer Locator at
martindale.com and directly when your
personalized URL is entered into a browser. Your URL can also appear in your
in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
- How long will it take to create my
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer HomePage?
- The time it takes you to create your Lawyer HomePage
will vary depending upon the number of pages you create and the content you
choose. Once you have prepared the content, you should be able to create a simple site
in a couple of hours. (See Building
Your Web site with Page Designer for more information.)
- How can this Web site be so inexpensive?
- Lawyer HomePages are "do-it-yourself"
Web sites that allow you to take advantage of Martindale-Hubbell's distribution
technology and database infrastructure to create a Web site at well below the market
rate. (See Prices, Terms and Conditions.)
- Do I need any special computer equipment?
- To access the Internet and utilize Page Designer, you will need a minimum
of an 80486 PC with 8MB RAM and a 28,800 BPS modem (a Pentium computer is
recommended for maximum performance).
Page Designer is compatible only with the following operating systems:
You will also need an Internet connection and an Internet Browser. Page Designer
is compatible with the following browsers when using the above-listed operating
- Windows 95
- Windows 98
- Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.0 is recommended, and may be downloaded
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 +
- AOL 4.0 for Windows 95/98
- Is my Lawyer HomePage linked to my
- Attorney profiles and general firm information (name, address, phone, Email)
are drawn from the Martindale-Hubbell database and can only be altered by changing
that data in your Professional Biography. There will be a hypertext link from your
listing at martindale.com
to your Lawyer HomePage and vice versa.
- Don't consumers already use Martindale-Hubbell?
- Yes. The Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory can be found at most libraries
and is already heavily used on the Internet at
martindale.com. This new site at
contains information more relevant to consumers, such as tips on Hiring a Lawyer,
information About the Law, a database to Locate a Lawyer, a forum for
general legal questions at Ask a Lawyer and articles on Law Today. (See
About lawyers.com for
The focus on consumer legal issues at
lawyers.com makes it more relevant to the needs of the non-legal public,
is designed to meet the needs of a professional legal audience.
- How will my Lawyer HomePage be found on the Internet?
- Visitors can access your Lawyer HomePage from your
listings at lawyers.com
as well as directly by entering your personalized URL in their browser. At
consumers will be able to find you by searching by your location, lawyer or firm name,
areas of practice or languages.
- Under what areas of practice will my Web site be found?
- Your firm will be indexed under the areas of practice shown in individual attorney
profiles in your Martindale-Hubbell
Professional Biography. Only those areas of practice
related to consumer legal issues will be indexed and searchable at
to Areas of Practice for
a detailed list.)
- Can I move my Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer
HomePage to another host or supplier?
- No. Each year, you license the Page Designer application to update and maintain
your site in conjunction with your Martindale-Hubbell listing renewal. The license
to view, update or access your Lawyer HomePage
ceases upon listing non-renewal or cancellation of your subscription.
- Does my State Bar Association need to review my
- Some Bar Associations consider Web sites a form of advertising that requires
prior approval. We recommend you contact your State Bar Association to ensure
compliance with local bar regulations regarding advertising on the Internet. A
useful secondary source is the
www.legalethics.com site, which outlines
State Bar policies on these issues.
- If I sign up now, what are the next steps?
- Shortly after signing up, you will receive additional information designed
to help you begin planning your site. About the time you receive your
Martindale-Hubbell listing proof, you will receive a Starter Kit that
provides instructions along with your Page Designer User ID and Password so you
can begin constructing your site. Costs associated with your
Lawyer HomePage will appear on your regular Martindale-Hubbell
invoice. (Go to Order Now
for immediate assistance.)
- What steps must I complete to build a Web site?
- Firms using Page Designer will create their
Martindale-Hubbell Lawyer HomePages in seven easy steps:
- Receive a Starter Kit including a User ID and Password.
- Access the Page Designer URL via an Internet-connected Web browser
and login with your assigned User ID and Password.
- Read and agree to the Terms & Conditions of the License Agreement.
- Customize your site's URL.
- Select a template and customize the five Basic Pages: Home Page,
Attorney Bio Page, Firm Description page, Contact Us page, and Directions page.
- Preview completed Basic Pages and either publish the site or select and
design additional pages.
- Publish site to make it publicly available.
See Building Your Web site with
Page Designer for more details.